Wednesday, April 23, 2008

To Finish the Panels or Glue the Doors?

When last we met, I had just finished making the shelves. The project was at this point about 2 weekends ago. My intention at this point was to finish the panels in the doors and then glue them together. But I didn't have all of the finishing supplies I needed, and I had to order some things off the Web. Plus I needed Waterlox Satin Finish, and I had a hard time finding that locally. I knew I could get some at the Norwalk, CT Woodcraft, but that would take a special trip.

So I found myself contemplating whether or not to finish the woodworking and glue up the doors. Part of me just wanted to get it all done so I could concentrate on finishing. And part of me wanted to follow my plan.

In the end, the lack of finishing supplies and time pressure to get going on my next project made my decision for me. I ended up gluing the doors together on a Friday night. And the following weekend was spent making the cock beading, mitering it, and finally applying it.

The glue-ups went without incident, really. Everything had been in clamps for about a month or so, so I knew everything fit. It was just a matter of applying glue, putting the parts together, lining everything up, and applying the clamps.

The cock beading was a job & a half. I had a 1/8" radius beading bit I got from the Tool Nut. I chucked that into my table mounted router & set the height. I then mounted my home made fence & carefully lined it up with the bearing on the bit. Next I prepared some stock.

The moldings needed to be 7/8" wide & 1/4" thick when I was done. I wanted to make this molding safely, and that meant routing the bead onto oversize stock. So I cut some pieces from 3/4" stock that were about 2 1/8" wide. I then ran the stock through the router twice, once with alternate 3/4" sides against the fence.

Next, I went to the table saw & started ripping the beads off. I set the fence so the 1/4" I wanted was to the left of the blade, mounted my GripTitle magnetic feather board & used a push block to finish the cuts. Obviously I didn't use the blade guard because of the size of the rip. In general this worked well, but the first piece I was cutting started to close up the kerf and the stock started to climb up the blade.

At that point I turned off the saw & avoided the kickback. I thought about how I could finish this cut & decided to put the stock aside. I had enough to make the parts I needed & if I needed to use that stock, I would just set up the band saw & finish the cut there.

After ripping the beading off the stock & then to final width, I ran them through my thickness planer to get them a uniform thickness, and to remove some burn marks that were on some of the stock before I started. This worked fine & only took a couple of very light passes.

I used my Osbourne EB-3 miter gauge to cut the miters. This went fine. Next I glued the moldings on & used my 23 gauge pin nailer to hold them in place "while the glue dried".

Here are the finished doors, awaiting to be installed.

Next time: Hanging the Doors

No comments: