Friday, November 7, 2008

A Momentous Week

This is going to be very short. I'll write something in the next few days about the pulpit.

This has been a very momentous week for the nation, and it turns out, for me, too. On Tuesday, we elected Barack Obama for president. A man who has no track record in a leadership position. I guess we'll see if we were right or not in time.

On Wednesday, I got laid off. Another victim of the faltering economy & globalization. This is the second time I've been laid off in my career. It's not as hard this time around, though I am going to miss all of the fine people I used to work with. I'm also going to miss the regular paychecks.

As of now, my woodworking future just got a lot murkier. I'm going to finish the pulpit, since I have just about everything I need for it. But I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing in the coming weeks after that. I do know I'll be looking for a full time job.

I just want everyone to know that since I've come to know the Lord, I know that He will take care of us & everything will work out even better than it was before. Of that, I have no doubt. It's just a matter of getting through to the other side.

At any rate, it's time for me to get into the shop & make some progress on the pulpit. Later, dudes.

2 comments:

Ralph Boumenot said...

Hi Tony,

I feel your pain. I too am a woodworker. I have also been laid off for over a year this past Oct. If I didn't have woodworking to keep my occupied I don't know what I would do.
Anyway you're a programmer and I am a hardware man. I can't even get a job as pc tech and I was just turned down for a dishwashing job. I am just glad that i have something from the Navy coming in every month. At least I'll always have to place to leave.
Keep at the woodworking its a great way to take my mind off the real world.
Keep making sawdust
Ralph

Tony V said...

Thanks, Ralph. I'm going to be fine. The Lord is on my side in this, and He has promised me everything's going to be fine. As the scripture says, "He is not a man that He should lie." Everything will be fine.

We just have to get through this. And we will.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss. I will pray for you.

And yes, I'm still making saw dust.

Tony